Chettinad "Vellai" (White) Kurma

Years ago...
During my pregnancy I was fussy about food. I would only like if Murugan Annan or Amma cooked. In that order. For an interim period, we had someone whom I think I literally drove away because of my complaints. This white Kurma is one dish that no-one can make as well as him. Awesome! He set the benchmark for this dish.
You do need to grind to a very smooth paste and chop the veggies into small pieces. The cauliflower needs to retain its shape and the flavours absorbed in all of the vegetables. Cooking the OPOS way, here is my favourite Kurma.

Do watch the video by Rama Krishnan to see how to layer the vegetables for the best results.
Video Link of HSB Kurma - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw8eVP8mmG4&feature=youtu.be

Layer 1: 2 teaspoon Oil + 4 teaspoon Water 
Layer 2: 1 Onion, chopped
Layer 3: 2 cups Vegetables (carrot, peas, potatoes, cauliflower)
Layer 4: Smooth masala paste (saunf 1 tsp, 4 to 6 green chillies, khus khus 1 tsp, cashew 7, ginger 1", garlic 3 to 4 flakes, coconut 1/2 cup) and salt

Pressure cook on high for 3 whistles. Open after a few minutes.
Add water and simmer briefly. 

Add a dash of lemon juice (to taste).

Comments

Popular Posts