Dates and Besan Barfi (Mysorepak)

Deepavali 2016
It was a frantic week leading upto Deepavali. I was stretched at work. We were busy introducing Deepavali / Diwali snacks at Mahamudra. It was a first for us and I was keen to have it all right.
Ended up test-tasting every batch of Adhirasam and Sanjeevini Ladoo; and the savouries.

With RK's OPOS videos, there was no further excuse. I refused to take any short cuts as I am wont to do. Determined to conquer my fear of making sweets, I bought the ingredients just for this one sweet and did it. I was super thrilled at the ease of making this sweet.

Recipe:
2 cups Kadala Maavu (Besan Flour) - dry roast flour in a kadai (pan) for about 10 minutes over a very slow flame till the raw smell disappears. Sieve.
Heat 2/3 cup Ghee and add the sieved besan to it. fry for 2 minutes. Keep aside.
Then -
2 cups Sugar
1/2 cup Water
100 grams finely chopped dates


Take sugar, water and dates in a 5 litre pressure cooker and cook for 4 whistles. Release pressure and add the roux of besan and ghee. Mix and transfer immediately into the greased plate.
Allow to set and cut into pieces.

Note:
If set in a nice and tall container and cut into 1-inch cubes - it will be similar to the ones available in the market

Comments

Popular Posts